The holidays may seem to be a long way off, but you know that they will soon be upon us. I love the Holiday season, entertaining friends and family. I always need some great inspiration to make sure the party goes off without a hitI know that wWhen it comes to planning a party, it can be stressful, especially putting a menu together. Of course, using a catering service at your get together does make it a bit easier. Then you are faced with the task of selecting what you will serve. From past experiences, one sure-fire, easy way to make sure that you have something appeals to all your guests is to serve a Chinese menu.
Chinese food is always a good choice. Chinese cuisine is such a popular choice in the UK. The odds are excellent that your choices will appeal to most, if not all of your guests. Chinese food has such a a large selection of meat, fish, and vegetarian dishes too. It makes catering for the preferences and dietary restrictions of your guests really simple. Chinese food is delicious and it’s perfect for any type of party. The hardest thing will be deciding if you are serving only snacks and starters, or going all out with a full buffet!
Another plus of a Chinese themed party is the ease of ordering. Checking menus of Chinese restaurants in your area by using sites like Hungry House is a great way to get ideas. You can search based on your pre-planned menu. Most of the sites also have user reviews for the restaurant and allow you to place your order online. Some restaurants also deliver which will save you more time.
I’ve shared some of my favourite Chinese food items here so you can grab some inspiration before you head off to the kitchen, or reach for the takeaway menu!
Snacks and Starters
- Fried egg rolls – a combination of chicken, shrimp, and vegetable work well.
- Spring rolls – Shrimp and veggie rolls work best. These are especially good for your vegetarian guests as the wrappers are vegetarian.
- Vegetarian Pancake Rolls.
- Spare Ribs – These are often served with honey and can be a bit messy.Make sure you have lots of napkins.
- Satay chicken on skewers.
- Sesame prawns on toast or sesame king prawns on skewers.
- Peking dumplings.
- Bao – You can get these steamed buns filled with pork or vegetables.
- Crispy Chicken Wings.
Buffet Style With A Main Course
The family style aspect of Chinese food is something that appeals to everyone. It allows us to try a wide variety of foods, so having a nice selection will add to your guests’ enjoyment.
The options are almost endless with Chinese food and so a mixture of dishes works best. Allowing your guests to pick and choose in a buffet style way means everyone gets something they love. Below are a few of our favourites…
- Steamed rice
- Fried rice – vegetarian and meat or seafood styles
- Mongolian Lamb and Aromatic Duck – both of these dishes have a unique taste and are served with Chinese pancakes which makes them a fun main dish.
- Bok Choy and Mushrooms – a nice tasty dish for vegetarians, but a perfectly good main dish for meat eaters as well.
- Tofu – You can get tofu in the same style as meats. Kung Pao, General Tso, and sweet and sour are popular. Many hosts will have a tofu version of one of the same meat dish, such as General Tso chicken and tofu.
- Shrimps and Prawns – Chinese Shrimps are prepared in a really large variety. Find one you think will work best and go from there. Typically it’s best to avoid sweet and sour shrimp.
- Stir Fried mixed vegetables
Chinese desserts also come in a wide variety. However, for parties the best option is a selection of fritters. We love pineapple fritters but banana is also a popular choice.
- Fortune cookies are great fun for guests and are always a talking point.
- Jelly is a great dessert for parties. Lychee, coconut and mango are delicious flavour options.
This is a collaborative post