There’s something about a double chocolate chunk cookie fresh from the oven with an ice cold glass of milk that just can’t be beaten. I’m not sure if it’s how it whisks me back to 1986 to memories of baking with my Grandma or going to Millie’s Cookies for the first time with my girl friends in the mid 90’s. What ever it does to my brain, I like it!
I mean, come on! Everyone loves a cookie but it takes a special kind of recipe to make that great cookie you’re searching for. This recipe is certainly a great one. I took my regular basic cookie dough recipe, chopped up a couple of my favourite chocolate bars and shoved them into the mixture before adding the wet ingredients. It doesn’t take any special skills to make a cookie. You just have to be safe in the knowledge that a great basic cookie dough recipe will take you where ever you want to go with very little effort.
Everyone loves double chocolate cookies. Not only are they easy to make but they have milk and white chocolate chunks stuffed inside. Milk and white chocolate chunks is like a magic combination for me. I can’t get enough of it. I even use a mixture of both milk and white chocolate in my brownie recipes as it gives them a little something extra. My double chocolate chunk cookies are ready to eat in less than 20 minutes too. You can even adapt the recipe to accommodate your personal tastes too, so if you want dark and white chocolate chunks, just go for it! You can also adjust the cooking times so you either get a cookie that’s moist and chewy or one that has a classic snap to it.
- 90g butter
- 100g golden caster sugar
- 1 x free range egg
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 200g plain flour
- 1/2tsp baking powder
- a pinch of salt
- 50g milk chocolate (chopped into small chunks)
- 50g white chocolate (chopped into small chunks)
- cream the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy
- beat in the eggs and vanilla
- sift the flour, baking powder and salt into the wet ingredients
- mix well until a dough starts to form
- bring the dough together using your hands
- roll the dough into a sausage shape
- wrap the dough in cling film and chill for about an hour
- slice the dough with a sharp knife (you will get 12 thick cookies or 24 thin ones)
- bake in a pre-heated oven at 160/Gas Mark 4 for around 8-10 minutes until the cookies are golden
- leave to cool on a wire rack
How do you like your cookies?
Are you a snap & crunch person or does the chewy cookie call to you?
Let me know in the comments below.