I’ve made so many batches of these bacon cheese straws over the last few weeks. It’s not surprising though, since bacon and cheese are two of my most favourite savoury foods, ever! When you combine them both together with a deliciously buttery pastry then you are most certainly onto a winner.
I love cheese straws, I love everything about them. The way the fat from the cheese makes the bottoms go crispier than the top. The way the cheese just melts in your mouth when you eat them warm. I’ve loved them since I was a small child but when you add bacon and extra cheese, they stop being boring finger foods and become something awesome. You just can’t beat it. The bacon fat soaks into the pastry as the straws are cooking to give you even more flavour and the Parmesan cheese adds a lovely saltiness that cuts right through the smoked bacon. The hint of mustard really brings out the best flavours of the cheeses inside too. They are absolutely delicious. I promise.
Bacon cheese straws can be enjoyed warm from the oven (they taste best this way) or cold (if they last that long!) They’re great for picnicing or just for finger food when you’re slightly peckish. Either way, how ever you decide to enjoy the cheesey deliciousness of bacon cheese straws they will always taste awesome! Just make sure if you are eating them straight from the oven, let them cool a bit. Hot cheese burns so bad!
- 225g plain flour
- 1 large pinch freshly ground pepper
- 2tsp mustard powder
- 30g salted butter (cold)
- 80g lard (cold)
- 25g grated parmesan cheese
- 60g grated red leicester cheese
- 10ml warm water
- 16 rashers of smoked, streaky bacon
- mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl and mix well
- cube the butter and lard into the bowl
- crumb the butter and lard into the flour with your finger tips until it is fine and no lumps of fat are still visible
- mix in the parmesan and red leicester
- add the water and bring together with a butter knife until a dough starts to form
- turn out the dough onto a well floured surface
- roll the dough out into a large rectangle, it should be about 1cm thick
- cut the dough with a pizza cutter into 16 equal lengths
- press a rasher of bacon into each slice of the dough
- place them carefully onto a baking sheet lined with greaseproof paper
- bake in a pre heated oven at 180/gas mark 5 for 25-30 minutes (the bacon should be slightly crispy and the pastry golden brown)
- eat straight from the oven or leave to cool on a wire rack