Mulled cider is my favourite Christmas drink. I much prefer it over mulled wine as I’m not really a big wine drinker and I’m more a cider kind of girl. I make it by the litre, usually over the weekend or when we have friends over. It really sets the Christmas mood. I love the cinnamon against the dry apple cider combined with the orange & lemon. The fact that it’s warm makes it even better! It’s my go-to Christmassy drink and I can drink a whole batch to myself when I’m wrapping the presents on Christmas Eve.
It’s so simple to make and you can use what ever kind of cider takes your fancy. I used a dry apple cider as it worked best against the citrus flavours. I didn’t want it to be too sweet and I love the citrus zing. You can use a sweeter cider or a scrumpy for a slightly different flavour. The addition of the mulled spice drops from Holy Lama (which was in my Degustabox for this month) gives the lovely delicate flavours which gives even more depth.
If you are thinking about trying a Degustabox, enter the code BLDEG15 at the checkout for £6 off your first box! I can highly recommend them if you’re a fan of surprises. Each box is packed with different food and drink products each month and an ideas sheet or two of recipes you can create. This month it was all about the Christmas prep. So it would have been wrong not to wrap the first few presents whilst I was drinking this!
- 1/2 Orange (thinly sliced)
- 1/2 lemon (thinly sliced)
- 3 x cardamon pods
- 1 X cinnamon stick
- 6 tbsp dark muscavado sugar
- 8 drops of Holy Lama mulled spice drops
- 1 litre of cider (I used dry apple cider from Rekorderlig)
- add all of the ingredients to a large pan
- let the cider warm through on a medium heat for no more than 5 minutes, stirring often - add more sugar if needed
- serve with a slice of Orange on the glass