When it comes to quick and easy desserts that look stunning, you can’t beat a Swiss roll ice cream bombe. It takes about 5 minutes to prepare and it looks truly spectacular once it arrives at the table. The Swiss roll ice cream bombe does not involve any baking, just some slicing and scooping followed by a short stint in the freezer. It’s a great dessert for the summer months and fabulous in winter with a hot chocolate sauce. If you’re looking for a dessert of perfect proportions than this is a winning dish. It’s got the cakey outer layer with jammy bits in every mouth full. It’s got the delicious vanilla ice cream centre which is thick and creamy and with the addition of some hot chocolate sauce, you know your taste buds are going to be in for a treat!
A Swiss roll ice cream bombe for dessert will leave everyone thinking you’ve been working hard in the kitchen, when in reality you have actually done very little! You could make Swiss rolls yourself, if you had that much time to spare but a little bit of shop bought never hurt anyone. You can switch it up a bit though and use a chocolate Swiss roll with a chocolate ice cream if you were feeling super indulgent but I think that the combination of strawberry jam with vanilla sponge and ice cream works brilliantly together. Sometimes, chocolate can just be a bit much. I suppose it just depends on your own personal preferences.
- 2 x jumbo sized (12 serving) strawberry & vanilla swiss rolls (we used Tesco own brand)
- 1L good quality vanilla ice cream
- line a large glass bowl with cling film, allowing extra to wrap the top up when filled
- cut the swiss rolls into 24 equally sized slices
- arrange the slices in the bowl and up the sides until all of the cling film is covered and saving some for the top
- fill the void with the ice cream
- top with the remaining swiss roll slices
- wrap the cling film over the top securely and freeze for about 5-10 minutes
- serve on it's own or top with hot chocolate sauce