I’ve been on the road to slowly becoming gluten free over the last six months. It’s contained a shed load of avocado brownies though! It’s been an interesting journey and a huge baking learning curve but I’ve not found it as difficult as I first expected. Ditching the wheat based products from my diet has meant I’ve had to be much more experimental in the kitchen and these gluten free chocolate orange brownies we exactly that. The first time I made them, I had run out of butter and had a couple of small, ripe avocados in the fridge. I’d seen on Instagram a few months back that you could substitute butter with mashed avocado so I thought I would give it a try. I didn’t expect them to be the most awesome, fudgey brownies I had ever tasted and I might have done more than just “give them a try!” They’re just too delicious!
The avocado was tricky, even when I mashed it with a fork, it still had some small lumps. I didn’t want The Boy to suss out my hidden veg plan so I knew it needed to be more of a puree. My Bella Extract Pro blender was perfect. A tablespoon of water added to the avocado and then a few seconds on high. The puree was smooth and mixed in well with the melted chocolate orange. There was no colour change and the avocado became an invisible addition to the recipe in the same way the butter has done in my other brownie recipes. I also used my Bella Extract Pro to grind some buckwheat into flour using the grind function. Buckwheat is a great substitute for regular flour as it behaves in a similar way. It’s also gluten free grain which is, in fact, a member of the rhubarb family. Buckwheat has a great flavour when used in brownies as it really works well with chocolate. Apart from that, you go about making the rest of the recipe exactly how you would a regular batch of brownies. I used my English Garden Utensils set by Katie Alice at Kaleidoscope. The set is perfect for making brownies – especially for whisking up the sugar & eggs, and the spatula made it really easy to make the brownies level once they were in the brownie tray.
- 250g dark muscavado sugar
- 3 x free range eggs
- 2 x medium sized avocado (pureed)
- 1 x Terry's chocolate orange
- 60g buckwheat flour
- whisk the sugar and eggs until thick and creamy and set to one side
- melt the chocolate orange in a bowl over a pan of simmering water
- once the chocolate is melted, add the avocado and whisk until they are both combined
- pour the chocolate and avocado mixture intot he sugar and eggs and whisk again
- gently fold in the buckwheat flour
- pour the mixture into a brownie pan and bake in a pre heated oven at Gas Mark 4 for about 45 minutes (the middle will be very wobbly, don't worry - it is set!)
- leave to cool and firm up (overnight if you can)
Disclaimer – I received a complementary English Garden utensil set from Kaleidoscope to use in the kitchen.
Latest posts by Miss Mamo (see all)
- Caring For People Who Have Problems With Their Mobility - May 22, 2018
- Great Ways To Get More Out Of Your Blender - April 23, 2018
- Adventures in Ice Cream - March 21, 2018
- An Outdoor All Weather Dining Room - March 16, 2018