The Sun really has had his hat on recently. That can only mean that Summer is on the way and Gin+Tonic season has actually started. G+T is a fabulous drink for the Summer but the traditional way of making it can be a bit boring. I’m always on the lookout for new and exciting ways to enjoy my favourite drinks so when I was asked to team up with TheBar.com to show you just how easy it can be to make cocktails at home, I knew their OMG G+T cocktail was something I had to make some immediately.
When people hear the word cocktail, they usually think of some amazingly difficult creation that needs a lot of fancy equipment and specialist ingredients that you don’t usually keep at home. It doesn’t need to be like that at all. For instance, if you don’t have a cocktail shaker, you can use a jam jar with lid. It works the same and the jar can also double up as a drinking glass. That means you can easily make cocktails on the move too. Now you can have cocktails by campfire or cocktails on the beach without having to go further than your cool box! If you don’t have a spirit measure, then counting to 5 for a shot (25ml) is a good reference.
Misteright and I enjoyed an evening without The Boy and put the OMG G+T to the test. The cocktail was really easy to recreate and had the perfect amount of gin for the amount of tonic water used. The berries added a new dimension to the drink. I usually have a G+T with a slice of lemon on lime but using fresh blueberries and raspberries was something I hadn’t actually thought of before. It made my G+T extra special. The elderflower cordial really added a different flavour to the cocktail too. I’m not usually a lover of elderflower but it tasted really good with the gin, berries and tonic water. A perfectly simple way to make a drink look like you made a special effort when really, you haven’t! It’s a brilliant cheat for the summer and if you swap the fresh berries for frozen ones, your drink will stay cooler for even longer!
- 50ml Gordon's® London dry gin
- 4 blueberries
- 4 raspberries
- a splash of elderflower cordial
- 150ml tonic water
- 1/2 a lime (freshly squeezed)
- add the gin, elderflower & berries to a jam jar filled with ice
- shake vigorously to infuse the flavours and squeeze lime over the top
- top with tonic
- serve in a tall glass for indoor drinking or to save your cocktail from bugs, serve in the jam jar with a straw!
You don’t just have to shake it up after work to add a bit of OMG to your life. You can use these amazing OMG recipes to wow your friends too! An OMG G+T Cocktail Popsicle is a perfect way to chill in the evening sun with friends. It really is just as easy as making up a couple of glasses of the cocktail in a jug and pouring it over some berries in a Popsicle mould before freezing. These can be made ahead the night before a gathering or BBQ with a couple of minutes preparation. You can show off your cocktail making skills with the OMG G+T or take it even further with this grown up treat.
If youre having a large gathering and need something show stopping for the table centrepiece then my OMG Grown Up G&T jelly is perfect. Packed with fresh berries, the OMG G&T is a refreshing alternative to ice cream or sorbet. It’s clean cut, slightly zingy taste makes for a fabulous dessert or a more sophisticated jelly shot!
- 2 x sachets of gelatine
- 240ml boiling water
- 60ml fresh lemon juice
- a splash of elderflower cordial
- a squeeze of fresh lime
- 700ml tonic water
- 150ml Gordon's Dry London Gin
- 100g fresh raspberries
- 100g fresh blueberries
- dissolve the gelatine in the boiling water, whisk well until thickened and leave to cool slightly (approx 10m)
- add the lemon juice, elderflower cordial, fresh lime, tonic water and gin
- add the blueberries to the bottom of a jelly mould
- mix well and pour onto the blueberries in the jelly mould
- drop the raspberries into the top of the mould
- leave to set in the fridge until set
- remove from the mould and present on a serving platter or plate
- serve with vanilla ice cream for the ultimate grown up jello & ice cream!
So there you have it, 3 amazing ways to get your cocktail on and add some OMG to your G+T this summer.
Why not show off your cocktail creations by sharing them on social media using #LetsCocktail
Disclaimer – This post was brought to you in association with TheBar.com