Salted almond brittle is another fabulous foodie gift that can be made at the last minute. It’s also a fabulous addition to loads of yummy treats as well as being deliciously moreish all by itself! Most kind of nuts work well in brittle but almonds are my favourite nut, closely followed by peanuts. Whichever nut that you use, the ratio is still the same. It is really just a case of personal preference and it’s always really tasty too! I love all types of brittle but salted almond is most definitely my favourite. I prefer to make it with salted rather than sweet almonds, there is something about them that pleases every part of the mouth when the saltiness is combined with the sweet sugary brittle. The combination of sweet and salty really brings the taste buds to life in an instant.
If you do give this as a gift, or make it for yourself then you have to scoff it sharpish! Salted almond brittle only lasts for a few days before the sugar starts to dissolve again and it will become sticky, gooey and not very nice so make it at the very last minute where possible. I doubt that it will last that long, but I thought you needed to know this, just in case it manages to make it further than a few hours!
- 100g caster sugar
- 100g salted whole almonds (some chopped, some whole)
- pour the sugar into a saucepan and put it on a low heat
- once the sugar begins to melt, gently shake the pan
- when the sugar begins to clump together, it will go a bit transparent and then it will start to change colour. You are looking for a deep brown colour so be patient and stick with it.
- once the caramel is the desired colour and has a shimmering effect on the surface, add the almonds
- stir in the almonds
- pour immediately onto a baking sheet lined with greaseproof paper
- leave out of reach to cool - it is ready once it is hard like a stick of rock.
- break into shards using a toffee hammer (or the end of a rolling pin if you don't have one)
- great on ice cream, with coffee, on top of cakes, in a gift bag.
- how ever you like it really!