Chocolate brownie poopy puppy chow is especially for Halloween. It’s just puppy chow with a funny name. If you’re not familiar with puppy chow then you’ve really been missing out! I first discovered it on a trip to the States in 2002. I’d gone to stay with a friend who was on a work placement over there and it was introduced to me then as a welcome gift. I fell in love with this deliciously moreish snack right then. It’s made with an American cereal called Chex – the nearest UK equivalent is Shreddies although they are malted wheat and Chex are made from rice. This recipe uses Cookie Crisp Chocolate Brownie Squares which are cookie crips outside and chocolate brownie inside a bit like Krave but it works really well in Puppy Chow as it can hold up against the coating and still stay crunchy. You need the crunchy, it’s the best bit!
Puppy chow is great for snacking on, as an alternative to popcorn or just for a bowl full of something to sit on your desk. Once you have tried it you will know exactly what I mean! It’s chocolatey, peanutty, crispy, crunchy goodness. It is actually goodness too as it’s made with cereal!
- 100g milk chocolate
- 50g butter
- 80g smooth peanut butter
- 500g Cookie Crisp brownie squares
- 75g icing sugar
- 25g cocoa powder
- melt the chocolate, butter & peanut butter in a pan on a medium heat
- once melted, pour over the Cookie Crisp brownie squares
- mix well with a spatula being careful not to break the cereal
- mix the icing sugar & cocoa powder together
- put half of the icing sugar & cocoa powder into a ziplock freezer bag and add half of the chocolate/peanut covered cereal
- shake well until coated completely
- repeat the process again using a fresh ziplock bag
- leave to set for about 5-10 minutes in the fridge