Tomato crusted chicken with red pepper salsa & twice baked chips is my shoebox recipe. I was challenged by Cottages4You to create a delicious main meal that was simple but could be created using only five ingredients that fitted into a shoe box, plus one local speciality food that would prove to holiday makers just how easy it is to create good food from British grub.
Inside the shoe box five staple ingredients were to be the base of the meal. Everyone had the same five ingredients and got to chose their additional local ingredient. The staples were potatoes, tinned tomatoes, onions, peppers, & bread. A fabulous base for loads of different recipes which could be used for any meal. I chose chicken as my additional ingredient because we have some amazing local chickens and the farmers markets and local butchers all sell the best, locally sourced meats. They taste amazing and are really succulent and tender. Chicken is easily sourced in all parts of the UK too so it’s really easy to find if you are on holiday. This recipe is really easy to make, feeds 4 people and is ready to eat in about an hour. Most of it is oven cooked too so you can grab a glass of your favourite tipple and kick back whilst it’s cooking.
The chicken is tender and has a fabulously crunchy breaded crumb which covers the delicate tomato flavour and twice baked chips are just epic! They crunch, crack and are really fluffy inside of their tough exterior. This recipe is brilliant for an al fresco holiday dinner on the patio. It’s quick and really easy considering it looks quite complicated. It’s the posh tower of chips that did it!
- 4 x chicken breasts
- 1 x tin chopped tomatoes
- 4 x large potatoes
- 4 x slices wholemeal seeded bread
- 1 x red pepper
- 1/2 white onion
- drain the liquid from the tomatoes into a bowl
- keep the tomatoes to one side
- place the chicken breasts into the tomato juice
- make the bread into breadcrumbs using a food processor with steel blade
- remove the chicken from the tomato juice onto a baking tray
- pour a generous handful of breadcrumbs onto each chicken breast making sure to pat each breast to allow the breadcrumbs to stick
- bake the chicken in a pre heated oven at Gas Mark 6 for 30 minutes until the chicken is thoroughly cooked and the breadcrumbs are crispy
- slice the potatoes into thick chips
- parboil them in water until softened
- drain the parboiled chips and place on a baking sheet
- drizzle lightly with oil
- bake in the oven at Gas Mark 6 for 30 minutes
- remove the seeds from the pepper and put them in a food processor with steel blade along with the tomatoes & onion
- blitz until fine chunks appear, do not over blitz or the salsa will be watery