Strawberry cream miniature cupcakes are a cute bite sized bakes that are fabulous finger foods. Perfect for picnics and car snacks. Also great for Elevenses and Afternoon tea. Oh, who am I kidding, they are brilliant for just popping in your mouth whenever you fancy. These delectable little morsels are vanilla sponge cake with a vanilla buttercream and a good dollop of strawberry compote on the top. Each one tastes just like strawberries and cream. Delicious. The recipe made 24 mini cupcakes and they did not last very long at all. The Boy had some friends over and they scoffed most of them.
This recipe uses my strawberry & beer compote but if you can’t be bothered to make it yourself, you can use a good quality jam with bits in. Just remember to mix it up well in a bowl before you put any on your cakes. You’re best off using a runny kind of jam rather than a set one too. The set jams tend to have more liquid in them than the runny ones and the liquid will make your cakes go soggy. No one likes a soggy cake.
These mini cupcakes are great for picnics, trips to the park or on walks and generally fit well in a small handbag sized tub. They really do not last long though so my advice would be to leave them in the car, away from temptation. I made a few batches of these and they were gone in two days flat. I suppose the influx of teenage boys in our house over the holidays means nothing lasts very long around here. I might need a lock for the cake cupboard.
- 100g butter
- 100g sugar
- 2 x free range eggs
- 100g self-raising flour
- 50g butter
- 50g icing sugar
- 50g butter
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 6tbsp strawberry & beer compote
- Dr Oetker eton mess cake sprinkles
- cream the butter & sugar until pale and fluffy
- beat in the eggs
- sift in the flour
- mix well until the ingredients are combined and lump free
- transfer the mixture into miniature cupcake cases using a teaspoon
- bake in a pre-heated oven at Gas Mark 5 for 18-20 minutes until golden and cooked through
- leave to cool
- cream the icing sugar, butter & vanilla extract until pale and fluffy
- spread the buttercream over each cupcake
- top the buttercream with a generous helping of strawberry & beer compote
- finish with the eton mess cake sprinkles