I love a good tea loaf and this one came about when I was recently asked to try the white peony loose tea leaves from ChinaLife. You know me, I love a good brew so I needed a tea based cake that would go perfectly with it so I decided to make a new twist on an old Yorkshire favourite and brew up white peony tea instead of black tea and make a tea loaf.
The recipe is surprisingly simple and it doesn’t take much effort. It does require that the fruits are soaked in the tea over night and then the stirring is the most strenuous part. Without counting the time the fruit is soaking and the cake is baking. The end result is a wonderfully moist, light fruit cake with hints of white peony tea and peaches. It’s great cold or slightly warm with ice cream or custard. White peony tea is a nice refreshing drink too. It’s also pretty good as an addition to your icing instead of using water. The final icing does look a strange colour though so if you’re wanting to show off your cake decorating skills, it’s maybe not the best thing to use on this cake.
- 100g diced dried apricots
- 200g sultanas
- 2tbsp ChinaLife white peony tea leaves
- 1/3 cup boiling water
- 2/3 cup feel good drinks non alcoholic Bellini
- 225g self raising flour
- 110g sugar
- 1 x free range egg
- 2 tbsp marmalade
- Soak the tea leaves in the water & peach Bellini
- Leave to brew for 15 minutes
- Strain the liquid & a squeeze the leaves dry
- Pour the liquid over the fruits
- Leave overnight
- Combine all of the ingredients in a bowl
- Mix well
- Add the fruits and any remaining tea which has not been absorbed
- Stir vigorously until the mixture has no dry lumps
- Spray a bundt pan with cake release spray
- Pour the mixture evenly into the pan
- Bake at gas mark 4 in a pre heated oven for 1 hour
- Leave to cool completely
Disclaimer – I recieved a complimentary box of white peony tea from ChinaLife.
I was not obligated to write a recipe using the product. I am not swayed by free stuff.
Latest posts by Miss Mamo (see all)
- Caring For People Who Have Problems With Their Mobility - May 22, 2018
- Great Ways To Get More Out Of Your Blender - April 23, 2018
- Adventures in Ice Cream - March 21, 2018
- An Outdoor All Weather Dining Room - March 16, 2018