Strawberry & beer are my favourite thing about the Summer so what could be better than combining the two to make a delicious compote? Strawberry & beer compote came about a few weekends ago. It was boiling hot and my beer was warm. That is the cardinal sin of sunny days. I decided to see if I could use my warm, flat beer as an addition to something delicious.
The Boy had been asking me to make a strawberry compote for his croissants the next morning so I added the beer instead of adding the water as I usually would. I wasn’t really sure what was going to happen but being experimental in the kitchen is one of my favourite things and if it tasted shocking then that would be the end of that.
Twenty minutes later, I actually ended up with a really delicious compote with a vibrant fresh strawberry flavour that was complimented by the beer. It reminded me of strawberry beer I had drunk abroad a few years ago. This recipe was a winner. I had to ask the chief taste testers first. Misteright and The Boy liked it. I was thrilled as I loved it and was going to be making a lot more often over the Summer months whilst strawberries are cheap and plentiful the fridge is filled with beers. My strawberry & beer compote is delicious on toast or warm croissants and it is also a brilliant home made filling for a Victoria sponge cake – if any compote is left over!
- 300g fresh strawberries (hulled)
- 25ml Estrella Damm
- 4tbsp white sugar
- place the ingredients into a non-stick pan
- cook on a high heat until the sugar is dissolved and the compote has reduced by half (it should be thick and sticky)
- leave to cool completely
Latest posts by Miss Mamo (see all)
- Caring For People Who Have Problems With Their Mobility - May 22, 2018
- Great Ways To Get More Out Of Your Blender - April 23, 2018
- Adventures in Ice Cream - March 21, 2018
- An Outdoor All Weather Dining Room - March 16, 2018