Misteright has been coming home rather late for lunch recently so to keep him going for a little bit longer, I baked him a chocolate chip banana bread to take to the office. I don’t eat bananas but this smelled so good that I did actually try some and it really is delicious. Shocked, yes. Hungry, no!
There is something about bananas that I just don’t like. I don’t get them, the taste, the texture or the smell. I avoid them at all costs but Misteright and The Boy both like them hanging in the fruit bowl. There are a few occasions where the bananas have gone a bit black. The Boy can’t abide black bits on his bananas and to save them from the perils of the food recycling box, I make a loaf of banana bread. This variation on a plain banana bread came about because I ran out of flour. I was 30g short, so I just topped it up with cocoa powder and hoped for the best. It came out well though, even if it did need an extra 15 minutes in the oven.
The end result was truly epic. I was really impressed that it didn’t turn out sloppy. I had used lots more cocoa to make up for the missing flour and I was worried that the finished bake wouldn’t turn out of the tin. It doesn’t cut very well but that isn’t the end of the world. You can get around that for putting it in the fridge for 10 minutes before slicing, if it makes it that long without being devoured.
- 140g butter
- 140g sugar
- 2 x free range eggs
- 110g self-raising flour
- 30g cocoa powder
- 1tsp baking powder
- 25g chocolate chips
- 2 x bananas
- 1tbsp icing sugar (to decorate - optional)
- cream the sugar & butter until pale and fluffy
- beat in the eggs
- sift in the flour, cocoa powder & baking powder
- mix until the dry ingredients have been combined and the mixture is lump free
- mash the bananas and stir them through the batter
- add the chocolate chips stir them through the batter
- pour into a 2lb loaf tin
- bake in a pre heated oven at Gas Mark 4 for 1 hour
- leave to cool for at least 30 minutes before removing from the loaf tin
- sift the icing sugar over the top and serve.