I’m all for simple things that are crammed full of good stuff. My 5 a day thickie is a great example. It’s packed with good stuff, contains all of your 5 a day, has oats, milled seeds and berries. It’s ready to drink in a couple of minutes and it tastes great. Thickies are great as a drink, as a topping for ice cream and even frozen into lollies! You can just add any fruit that takes you fancy but the fruits we used here were hand picked by The Boy. You don’t even have to use the freshest of fruits, just any old fruit, so long as it doesn’t have mould actually growing on it should be fine. The darker the banana skin, the sweeter the end result so this is really good if you have some left over bananas that are going bad.
You can also use frozen fruit for this recipe, you don’t even need to defrost it, just whack it all in the blender and then your work is done! I swear by hidden goodness in foods, when extra fruits & veg can be added to bulk things up and get more nutrients packed in too. This recipe is great because it’s about as thick as a milkshake from McD’s and is so much better for you. The good thing is, if you get some milkshake cups from McDs or online, you can serve these up in large containers with bright straws to make the appeal even greater for younger kids. Luckily, the boy was in a hurry so a glass had to do for the pictures!
- 1 x banana
- 1 x kiwi
- 1 x williams pear
- 4 x strawberries
- 8 x green grapes
- 2 tbsp Linwoods milled flaxseed sunflower pumpkin sesame seeds & goji berries
- 1 handful of porridge oats
- 1/2 pint of whole milk
- peel the banana and kiwi and put into a blender
- top the strawberries and remove the stalk from the pear
- add them to the blender with the rest of the fruit
- add the milled seeds & porridge oats
- add the milk and turn the blender on high for 3 minutes
- blend until smooth
- Serve in a tall glass with a long handled spoon
Disclaimer – I received some complimentary milled seeds & berries from Linwoods to be creative with in the kitchen.
This is one of the things I came up with.
Latest posts by Miss Mamo (see all)
- Caring For People Who Have Problems With Their Mobility - May 22, 2018
- Great Ways To Get More Out Of Your Blender - April 23, 2018
- Adventures in Ice Cream - March 21, 2018
- An Outdoor All Weather Dining Room - March 16, 2018