Toasties are amazing. They are really simple to create and can be filled with a whole host of tasty fillings. It really is just a case of anything goes! A toastie (for those of you not in the know) is a toasted sandwich and if you have new heard of them, you may have been hidden in a dark cave, for a really long time! They really are nothing special, unless you want the, to be so much more than a simple snack on a budget. Toasties can be a great meal, like an alternative to pizza, when you have not got much money! My favourite gourmet toastie isn’t actually that gourmet when you think about the ingredients but together, they create something truly amazing and it’s a rather posh looking lunch.
Bacon, brie & redcurrant jelly is an amazing flavour combination and it’s exceptional in a toastie. It’s quite cheap too and is pretty impressive if you have friends over for lunch. It’s a great, easy Summer food too and also amazingly comforting on a cold day. A perfect all-rounder dish. It’s my own go-to quick dish if we have unexpected guests as it’s ready in about ten minutes so I’m not spending all afternoon in the kitchen to create something amazing.
- 2 x slices of white bread per toastie
- 2 slices smoked streaky bacon (cooked until crispy) per toastie
- 4 x 1" strips of brie per toastie
- 1 tsp redcurrant jelly per toastie
- butter for spreading on the bread
- spread the bread with a thin layer of butter on both sides
- spread the redcurrant jelly on the bread
- place the bacon & brie over the redcurrant jelly
- put the other slices of bread on the top
- place the sandwiches into the toastie maker
- cook for around 3-5 mins until bread is golden and the cheese is melted
I was sent a toastie maker free of charge as part of a campaign with Debt Free Direct to promote healthy eating on a budget.