SPAM, It’s not something that we eat often, in fact, come to think of it, I haven’t actually eaten SPAM since I was a child! My Gran used to serve it up in sandwiches for lunch on a weekend. I never really liked it but I always ate it all, if I didn’t I’d not get a chocolate afterwards! This week, I was set the SPAM challenge – Can I make SPAM tasty? I thought it would be simple and I actually had a fair few ideas but I decided to SPAM up an old favourite. It had to be some variation on bolognese with a home-made garlic bread.
So, to sum it up. Misteright really did not like the SPAM bolognese, he wasn’t impressed at all. He didn’t want pasta AGAIN for dinner. Infact, Misteright dislikes pasta so much, at the end of this meal, he announced I was not to make him any more pasta dishes for a whole month! I didn’t like the SPAM blogonese much either. I never really liked SPAM and the challenge was to make it taste good! SPAM aside, the rest of it was delicious. The texture of the SPAM was similar to pork or beef mince and the grated carrot added some extra bulk to the backbone of the dish. On the plus side, our friend Seven came over and also stayed for food – he really loved it, so did The Boy. I think I can say it was a kind of success! I mean, lets face it. SPAM isn’t for everyone. It’s similar to Marmite, you either like it, or you don’t! I suppose pleasing two out of four people isn’t all that bad. Technically, I don’t think it was such a fail. I suck at failing, it’s not something I like to do (or often admit to!) I half nailed this challenge puts a more positive spin on it! Well, you can’t win them all, no matter how hard you try!
- 1 x tub of SPAM (grated)
- 1 x onion (diced)
- 1 x carrot (grated)
- 3 x cloves of garlic (crushed)
- 1 tsp Tabasco Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 carton of tomato passata
- 400g pasta
- 1tbsp olive oil
- fry the SPAM, onion, carrot & garlic in the olive oil for a few minutes until the carrot and onion are cooked and the SPAM is slightly crispy
- add the Worcestershire Sauce and the passata and cook on a medium heat for 15 minutes
- cook the pasta as per packet instructions (I use salted boiling water with 1tbsp oil to stop the pasta sticking)
- once the pasta is cooked al dente, drain it well
- add small ladel of the pasta water which you should add to the sauce
- toss the pasta into the sauce until all the pasta is coated
- serve with a home made garlic bread and a salad, if you fancy!
I received a tub of SPAM for the SPAM challenge to make SPAM taste good.
If you like SPAM, this is for you, if not, you may want to close the browser!