Mincemeat isn’t just for Christmas, it’s great all year round. I always buy too much of it each year whenever I make mince pies. I always end up with some mincemeat left over in the bottom of the jar. I was thinking that they should make the jars smaller, or put an extra recipe on the jar to give people some inspiration as to how to utilise their leftover mincemeat. I mean, who said that mincemeat was only for mince pies? Now you can have have Mincemeat Cupcakes!
You all know by now that I love creating new recipes so I thought I should try adding the leftover mincemeat to a basic cake mixture and make some buns. It was a total experiment and I had no idea how they would turn out. I also had no clue at this point that these little buns would be one of my most well received creations, ever! I made the cake batter, put the buns in the oven and hoped for the best…
The end result was a rich, moist and fruity cupcake – it was really delicious on it’s own but it needed something extra. I had to top it with a rich and silky smooth cream cheese frosting. The vanilla and the sharpness of the cream cheese work really well together to compliment the flavours from the mincemeat. You need to try these…
- 100g butter
- 100g dark muscavado sugar
- 2 x free range eggs
- 100g self raising flour
- 100g mincemeat
- 300g icing sugar
- 50g butter
- 125g cream cheese
- cream the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy
- beat in the eggs in well
- sift in the flour and fold into the mixture until smooth
- add the mincemeat and stir well, but gently until it is all mixed in
- place a tablespoon of mixture into each muffin case, topping them up with any leftover mixture
- bake in a pre-heated oven at Gas Mark 5 for 18-20 minutes
- cream the butter & icing sugar until pale and fluffy
- fold in the cream cheese until thoroughly combined
- top the cupcakes with the frosting and chill in the fridge until the frosting sets hard
Eat whilst they are still warm with a cup of Hot Chocolate or a Christmas coffee.
I warn you now…
…One is not enough! Considering these buns started out as a simple experiment, I have so far used 2 whole jars of mincemeat making these. We have had a large supply in the cupboard and The Boy has even been taking them to school for a snack with his morning hot chocolate! In fact, they are so good, he has been taking several and sharing them with this mates. The general conclusion is that these cakes are truly scrumptious. If you love all things about mince pies, then these buns are a great alternative if you want the taste but not the pastry!