Mac ‘N’ cheese with bacon & sweetcorn is my favourite comfort food, ever! I love everything about it. Pasta is my favourite carb, cheese is my favourite protein and bacon is the ultimate part of the pig! Now the nights are drawing in and the cold months approach I will be eating this so much more. Misteright has a huge hatred for any kind of mac n cheese, it’s a good job really. I can eat a whole dish full! It’s not that I am greedy, it’s just this is the ultimate thing I look for in food. It’s simple, quick, filling and always leaves you wanting more, no matter how full your tummy is.
The Boy really loves pasta and so we rarely have any leftovers when I make this. Mac ‘n’ cheese is a great all round belly-filler and I am yet to meet anyone who doesn’t ask for another helping. The cheese sauce is packed with so much cheese. It makes the sauce wonderfully rich and it is complimented brilliantly by the smokey, saltiness of the bacon. It truly is perfection on a plate. Bacon and cheese is a such a fabulous combination too. What makes any mac ‘n’ cheese so great is that you can experiment with different types of cheese. But I prefer a good mature Cheddar or Red Leicester and think that they work the best for this recipe. Monteray Jack is also great too. If you’re feeling really indulgent – you can always have a mixture of all your favourite cheeses! Bacon & sweetcorn macaroni cheese is best eaten on it’s own. I think that’s because I an piggish when it comes to amazing pasta dishes and I never want garlic bread. Bacon & sweetcorn macaroni cheese does go nice with bread products though, just make sure they are crispy. Garlic bread, dough balls and baguettes all work well.
- 25g flour
- 25g butter
- 1/2 pint milk
- 500g pasta
- 6 rashers of smoked bacon
- 1 tin sweetcorn drained (I use Green Giant as it tastes the best and holds it's own in the oven!)
- Make a roux by melting the butter and flour together and stirring fast with a wooden spoon to form a paste that leaves the pan cleanly
- It should be cooked for a minimum for 2-3 minutes to cook out the flour
- Slowly, add the milk a little at a time whilst whisking to ensure no lumps are formed
- Once all the milk has been added, continue to cook until the sauce begins to thicken
- Add 25g of the grated cheese and remove from the heat once melted
- Cook the pasta for about 5 minutes and then drain well and pour back into the pan and stir in the cheese sauce, bacon & sweetcorn
- Stir well until all the pasta is coated in sauce and transfer to a flan or pie dish and top with the rest of the cheese
- Bake in a pre-heated oven on gas mark 6 for 20 minutes until the cheese is bubbling and crispy on top