This recipe for chewy cola cupcakes was updated in October 2015
The recipe instructions have been converted to grams and the method has changed slightly.
They’re still amazingly delicious though!
Chewy cola cupcakes are a totally new creation for me. I was recently sent a few bags of a new sweet that is launching in the UK called Nanobytes. The Boy had eaten the bubblegum AND the strawberry flavours. That left me with the cola ones. I wanted to bake something original with these sweets so I decided to put them into some cupcakes. I also had a bottle of Better Stevia sugar replacement which is a great because you really don’t need much and it’s low calorie (that actually means you can eat more cake and not feel bad!) So I figured if I was filling these cupcakes with sweets, I’d better give it a try. The instructions said to use 1 tsp for every cup of sugar. I wasn’t sure it was going to work at first but I ended up with the same amount of cupcakes per batch as I do when I use regular sugar. I couldn’t taste the difference, neither could my testers (Misteright, The Boy and The Boys Friends) The girls were delighted that they didn’t have many calories * I should have extra Mum-cred points stacked up with The Boy for that one*
When I first published this recipe, I didn’t ice the cupcakes. I thought they looked good naked but after a few more attempts and the neighbours kids asking where the icing was, I decided to top them with alayer of simple cola flavoured buttercream and some extra nanobytes to give it a little extra crunch and chew on top of the soft icing.
- 250g unsalted butter
- 250g self raising flour
- 3 eggs
- 1tsb NOW Better Stevia (see method 1) OR 250g sugar (see method 2)
- 1 x bag of cola flavour Nanobytes
- 200g icing sugar
- 100g unsalted butter
- 1tsp cola flavouring
- 1 x bag of Cola flavour Nanobytes
- preheat the oven to gas Mark 5
- Put the butter, flour, eggs and better stevia in a bowl and using a food mixer, mix until the ingredients are pale and fluffy.
- Fold in the Cola flavour Nanobytes with a metal spoon so the air doesn't get knocked out of your sponge mixture.
- Be careful - if the Nanobytes break, your cupcakes will not rise properly and they won't be chewy
- Cream the butter and the sugar until pale and fluffy
- Add the eggs, beat the mixture well and then sift in the flour.
- Fold the flour into the mixture with a metal spoon until the mixture is the consistency of double cream
- Add the Nanobytes and stir gently - Be Careful - if the Nanobytes break, your cupcakes will not rise properly and they won't be chewy
- Put 2 teaspoons of mixture into each cupcake case and bake for 20-25 minutes. Until the cupcakes pass a skewer test and are golden brown on the top.
- The Nanobytes should be slightly melted and still chewy.
- cream the butter, icing sugar and cola flavouring until pale and fluffy
- top each cupcake with a layer of icing
- drop some nanobytes on the top for decoration